Winter's Not Over Yet

Started by gitano, February 26, 2006, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Started snowing yesterday morning about 0500, and quit at about 1900. Small flakes 'til about 1400, then it got serious. Total at my place about a foot. Cleared up over night, and was -5 F this morning.

Here's a little irony for ya. The last two weeks have been very warm, and all the snow was gone. The high school cross-country ski team that my wife coaches had to drive to the mountains for practice. They thought they were going to have to cancel the State championships, but they 'toughed it out' (skied on dirt and ice), Thursday, Friday and Yesterday. Of course after the State championships, the season is over. Then it shows a foot, and the temperature drops to about 10F during the day. Now that's frustrating. Doesn't "do" too much for me either, as I've got a long driveway to clear of a foot of snow.

The good news is that we are less than a month from the Vernal equinox, and daylight is comin' on fast. We've already got at least 12 hours of shootin' light, and it's only gonna get better from here. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

Hey don't see ya this fer north, Thats good to hear, my take me some get'n use to daylight 24 hours a day, been sunny all weekend and in the high 50's, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Jay Edward (deceased)

Really lookin' forward to Spring and the shootin' range.

This year I'm going to get in those hours with the firearms and thermos that I've been missing.  If all goes well in the interim, I'll have one or two more to work over.

Another phase I've definitely not been faithful to is the handgun.  My oldest boy might just help me out there with my grandson backin' him up.  The only price I have to pay is the 12 ga ammo that my grandson insists on shooting to knock those clays out of the sky.

This betwixt and between time of year can be a little depressing but it does work out for the planning stage.

gitano

Speaking of the range and planning, hopefully Wednesday I'll be able to get to the range with John's MAI, the two Steyr M-95s, the Buffalo Classic, and maybe the TCR-83 with both the .308 and the .257 AI bbls. The TCR may not go, as I have quite a list of experiments for the MAI and Steyrs. The Buffalo Classic is just along for fun while I wait for the Steyr and MAI bbls to cool. :)

I'm going to completely redo the load workup for the MAI with the Optimum Charge Weight (OCW) and Optimum Barrel Timing (OBT) theories guiding the work. We'll see if new info develops. I think I'll be sticking to just the Combined Technology 200s, but based on some paper-whipping using the OBT and the 175, I might take some of them along too.

I'll be sighting in the "new" Steyr, and then working up loads (again using OCW and OBT theories) for 100s, 150s, 175s, and 205s.

If I bring the TCR along, I'll be working on loads for the 125 and 130 HP in the .308 Win; the 87 Combined Technology, and the 100 Barnes Triple Shock in the .257 AI. But... that's really a lot of work considering a pressure measurement and a chrono reading plus target management for each round.

They'll be more details in the Reloading site, when there are more details. In the mean time... I'm plowing snow.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

If it makes you feel any better it was 62 here today and it's supposed to hit 66 tomorow. I've had the sunroof open all weekend.:p I'm looking forward to the range report. Keep warm.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Daryl (deceased)

Spring?  Who wants springtime~?

It got down to 36* last night, and should be in the 70's today.  I can shoot all winter!

The trouble comes with Spring; it's too HOT to be very comfortable at the range.  It's certainly possible if you can find a nice shade tree to shoot from, but the winters are much nicer.

:)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: DarylSpring?  Who wants springtime?  It got down to 36* last night, and should be in the 70's today.  I can shoot all winter!
Man!   Just when you think you have no use at all for a 'hit person'.  (I say 'hit person' as equal opportunity employer's are not allowed to employ men only.)
[/size]

bowhunter 51

We've had several nice spring-like days in a row with temps in the 60's........
Daffodils are up and blooming, dogwoods and fruit trees are wanting to bud-out.
Heck, got greens, radish and onions coming up in the garden....But, I know
Ole Man Winter ain't through with us, YET!!!!..............................................
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

drinksgin (deceased)

My greens, radishes and lettuce are bolting, tomatoes are going in next week, peppers ,2 weeks after that.
We have had over 85', lows are almost always in the upper 40's-lower 50's.
Had 2 hard freezes this winter, one night of 30' and one of 29'.
We worry more about hail, 2 years ago had 15 minutes of solid 2" hail, had a 2" cover on the ground 4 hours later.
Needless to say, I had already planted the garden and everything was flattened.
Always keep saying, "next year".
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

12 gauge

I can't wait for spring to come! Here lately we've been getting a few nice days of highs in the 60s and then all of a sudden comes a cold draft!! :eek: :mad:

I want winter to end! I want the warm weather, I am surely not a cold weather guy! lol!

Spring is around the corner however, and I am looking forward to grabbing my fishing gear and hit the lake for spawning bass and catfish!

We got another bit of snow last week, wasn't much, only lasted about 4 hours then melted away. But it has been soo cold with chilly winds! I tell ya when the heat comes i will be ready to welcome it with a new vegetable patch!! I've already got my seeds set into my green house container and they are ready to germinate. 4-6 weeks or more in the future, and i will start my brand new garden, which will be bigger, better and produce more efficient crops!

Can't wait! old man winter is about to bite the dust here soon! I can feel it! :D:cool:

God bless :D
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Tags: