It is the vernal equinox!

Started by gitano, March 20, 2006, 06:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Twelve hours of daylight and darkness over the entire face of the earth today. The southern hemisphere slips into darkness, and we in the northern wake up.

Four inches of snow at my place last night, and it's still snowing. Hasn't hardly been above 20 F for the past four weeks, and now 4" of snow. Makes it difficult to get to the range and do any real work. Still, 12 hours of daylight and rising... that's a good thing.

Top o' the morning and top o' the Spring to ya.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

:D Yep 1st day of spring and looking like rain here, in the 40's at that, got some work to finsh up today more of a clean up, How do you sleep when ya get 24 hours of daylight, I'd say it's hard on the new guy's, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

QuoteHow do you sleep when ya get 24 hours of daylight?
That's a common question when I mention the long daylight up here. The answer is, some folks don't sleep as well in the summer hours, and take measures - like putting aluminum foil over their windows - to keep things 'dark'. As for me, I try not to sleep. I hate sleep... Sleep is "that little death".

For the most part, when it's time to sleep, I can sleep through a hurricane. (Although, I did make an interesting observation right after my first was born. See below.) I think it is in part my nature, and in part "training" by the military. First, boot camp: Classes in boot camp are incomprehensively boring. If you were an insomniac before boot camp, you won't be after. Next is just normal military life. Most folks learn quickly to "sleep when you can". If you're a "light" sleeper, you're gonna have a difficult time in military service. If the "genie" were to appear to me and grant me three wishes, one of them would be that I never have to sleep again.

Among the myriad examples of outright balderdash that Hollywood spews about men, is one that shows men sleeping through the night as their wives have to get up to deal with young children. Right after my first child was born, I noticed that during the day my wife was completely focused on the child. I, on the other hand had to seriously concentrate on the child if I was responsible for watching her for any length of time. I was very easily distracted. My wife on the other hand had that "mother's radar". She seemed to always know exactly where the infant was. HOWEVER, once the sun went down there was a complete (and unconscious) reversal of rolls. For the first several months after our daughter was born, my wife (a very light sleeper) could have slept through an earthquake. I would have to actually shake her get her awake. I, on the other hand, that normally can sleep through a firebombing, would find myself awake at the slightest squeak. It occurred to me after some thought, that this is likely the "normal" and "correct" nature of things. Men are, by their nature, protective of hearth and home. Danger is greatest in the dark, and when most of the others sleep. During the daylight, danger can be detected from a distance, and many eyes are awake and available. This is in my opinion precisely why, at least in part, men sit and gaze into the distance during the day. Reminds me of something I once saw...

At a museum in Lawrence Kansas, I was looking at a painting that showed two native braves standing on a bluff edge, gazing off into the distance. Two women looking at the same painting remarked sarcastically; "Isn't that typically male. Standaing around, doing nothing, but leaning on their spears, while their squaws, are back at home doing all the work." Besides the error of the comments, it illustrates how far we have gotten away from 'what we are'. It took a child entering my life to shake me, at least in part, back to my true nature. For all of the good things modern culture has brought, it has brought great harm as well.

So... you were curious about sleeping in 24 hrs of light, eh?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Being a great proponent of the afternoon 'cat nap'... I have no trouble sleeping during daylight as well.

Since I rise before daylight (whatever the time) and go to sleep around 11 p.m. or a little later, I feel justified in catching 40 winks whenever it suits me.  I just lay down on any available floor and map the inside of my eyelids.

I find that old John Wayne, Charlie Chan & Miss Marple movies are conducive to getting unconcious.  I know the first 15 minutes of those movies by heart.

buckshot roberts

:eek: Dang 1st day of spring and it's snowing like mad now,

:frown Yep a little curious, I get very Hateful after no sleep over 30 hours, I was thanking maybe it would  affect ya some, me I've worked both day and night, never been 24 hours of daylight,that may work on my little brain,;)

:D Ol Warned Oland was the best Charlie Chan, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: