.338 Federal. Anyone have any reviews?

Started by periscope_depth, April 23, 2006, 09:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

periscope_depth

I received a magazine that talked about the various .338 caliber rounds available today.

The article introduced the the .338 Federal which is a new round basically a factory .338-08.  

Someone finally did it!  I could get very excited about this round but am wondering if anyone has actually purchased, shot or hunted with this round.

Sounds like a fairly mild round using the excellent .338 caliber bullets.  

Thoughts?

klallen

Reviews?

Honestly, all I needed to see of the round was that it was centered around the small capacity, short action case and that was it.  Didn't need to hear any more.

I usually associate the .338 caliber class and larger rounds as kinda the smash-mouth, hit'm hard family of cartridges.  The .338 Fed., with that tiny -08 case,  just don't fit the bill, in my opinion.

I know lots of folks with a minimalist attitude towards cartridges.  They're completely enthrawled with small capacity stuff.  They'll love this offering, I'm sure.  >>  klallen

M1Garand

Some of the areas I hunt where shots are no more than 50 yards or so, should be a good round for deer and black bear.

periscope_depth

Honestly I used to be a fan of the harder kicking smash mouth rounds.  I have never owned a magnum in my life but loved the way my 35 Whelen kicked with fullhouse rounds.

Since I have been on blood thinners now for several years...my hard kicking rifle rounds days are over.

Therefore....efficiency is what makes me smile and the .308 case is short, fat and can deliver velocity and energy with less powder (less recoil) than many of the magnums and even rounds on the -06 case.

A larger caliber round that can be accelerated to a useable velocity so as to be able to hold dead on at a target out to 250 yards is all 99% of hunters really require and getting hammered in the shoulder and bruised to cover that last 1% of hunting conditions is not worth the punishment, expense and noise.

But, that's just me.

klallen

Evening PD >> You "used to be a fan of the harder kicking smash mouth rounds" and yet you've "never owned a magnum in your life"? Hmmmm. That's ... interesting. Odd to be such a fan, yet never partake.

Regardless, I'd tend to support the cartridge choices you've made for yourself. Listening to your prediciment from your above post, if ya bruise easily, it's always best to stick with the lighter recoiling rounds. Hearing things like this tend to make those of us who are fans of (and actually shoot) the larger variety of cartridges realise how truely lucky we are that we don't have bruising issues, can manage recoil and aren't concerned with the expenses associated with fueling the things we love to shoot. We are fortunate folks and I count my blessings all the time.

I thought I heard that Tikka will be the first rifles chambered in this little bugger. Don't hold me to that, but I believe that's what I heard. We shall see. Looking forward to you snagging one of these up and giveing a full range report. Chat with ya later. >> klallen

Hunterbug

While it is an interesting round I don't think that it'll do much better than the 358 Winchester. You might want to look at the 338 MAI that gitano and John are workingwith. It may fit your needs even better than this.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

M1Garand

On paper I think it should be a great woods round but I think the shooting public isn't interested in that.  They're more infatuated with the super mags and being able to shoot 600 yards, though most couldn't do it anyway.  As fine a round as the 338 Federal may turn out to be, I almost get the feeling that HB is right that it may end up like the 358 Win, which is an exceptional woods round.

gitano

As fond as I am of the .308 case, I think this is a relatively poor cartridge design, and I'll be surprised if sales are "brisk". I think klallen's perspective is more in line with what one is likely to see in the market of the masses.

In my opinion, there are better cases upon which to put .338 diameter bullets, not the least of which is the 57mm case. But then Federal didn't ask my opinion. As a further example of how 'out of tune" I am with the masses, I think the .17 HMR is an absolutely rotten cartridge, and yet it's sales are nothing short of phenomenal - as are the claims of it's performance I might add. ;) The shooting fraternity is a fickle bunch, far too susceptable, in my opinion, to fad and the influence of corrupt and ignorant "gun writers". This could definitely be a 'fun' cartridge. We'll just have to wait and see how this offering turns out.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

To be honest, aside of the 7mm-08(which is too much like the 7x57 to bother with), the .338 Federal is the only .308 family cartridge that really interests me.
My concern is that all of the cartridges before it that .338 cal bullets were designed for have been "smash mouth" rounds.
Even the .338-06 packs a wallop.
As such Federal have their work cut out for them producing a load that will develop enough energy to have these controlled expansion bullets expand at all.
Or they'll be getting one company or another to manufacture a specific bullet for this cartridge and we're all familiar with the problems this can cause down the track.
A similar problem happened in Australia with the 303/270, a factory loaded wildcat that is .303 Brit necked down to .270 cal.
As most rifles chambered to 303/270 were SMLEs a number of bullet makers here in Oz made a 130gn .270 cal bullet with a softer jacket so that the relatively pedestrian energy of the 303/270 would still get it to expand.
Fast forward to the 1980s when 303/270 was no longer factory loaded and many handloaders found it a struggle to find bullets that would perform properly in their old rifles as projectiles designed for the .270 Win were of a tougher construction to stand up to it's far greater velocities.:(
Anyhow, to get to the point, while a good cartridge in theory I'm not sure the .338 Federal has much if anything more to offer than a "hot and heavy" 8x57 load.
I challenge it to knock over a big critter better than my 8mm Mauser packing Woodleigh 250gn RNSNs!:D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

rockinbbar

In my opinion, it is a "short range" caliber....

In the same league as the .358 win, 300 Savage, 35 Remington....etc.

While it may pack a whollop, I think it is better suited for the woodsy type hunting they have back east.
I know I'll not add one to my collection, as I have a .338 Win Mag that will thump an elk or a bear A LOT harder at more reasonable ranges that we have out West.
In my opinion, the above stated "brush calbers about have it covered....I frankly see no need for it, but it'll be interesting to see how it does in the market....;)

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Tags: