E.R.Shaw barrels

Started by Mark R, May 18, 2006, 03:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark R

My first mauser project turned out alright so I thought I'd try another. A Turk Mauser in 22-250 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Shaw barrels. they seem to be a step up from Adams& bennett. they're priced pretty resonably.

Thanks
marktx

buckshot roberts

;) Mark R, yes they are very good bbl's for the money, I have only seen two that a gunsmith I know put  them on two mauser 98's one in 06, an the other was 308, I have no Idea about a Adams& Bennett, good or bad. Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

sakorick

A and B barrels are real nice barrels for hunting rifles.....in my limited experience. I am building 4 rifles this year with the Wilson barrels. Shoot, they all use the 4010 steel. Coupled with the Tubbs final finish, they are all way better than your average Remington/Ruger factory "do it quick" jobs. ER Shaw has been making barrels for a long time......my guess is that they are terrific. If an A&B can get me down to 1/2 inch groups......that's good with me! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Mark R

Rick I can't seem to find any info on wilson barrels. Do they have a website.
marktx

sakorick

Hello Mark. Wilson Arms makes the Wilson barrels. They are darn good barrels.....I don't know how they stay so inexpensive. http://www.switchbarrel.com/Wilson.htm
There is a guy who sells them for Wilson at very competetive prices....http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=49478611  He usually has a few on gunbroker. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

ssghelmick

I have a M98 barreled with an ER Shaw and so far I am very happy with it. I haven't had an opertunity to really see what it can do for accuracy yet as I just got it broke in yesterday but it shows promice. I also have another one being hung on a Ruger 77 right now. I think these are pretty good barrels for the money. If your building a target rifle use Lilja or Kreiger but if it's a hunting rifle I'd say Shaw is tuff to beat.

Paul Hoskins

I have only used one Shaw barrel and found no fault with it. I would rate it along with the Adams & Bennet. I have been using Mc Gowen barrels for the last several jobs and find them a cut above the other two I mentioned. Also use a few of Donnalley's barrels. His barrels are just as good as McGowen's and no more expensive. He has Ackley's barrel making business and machinery. ...............Paul H

Nelsdou

I can't speak to the Shaw barrels, but if they similar to A&B barrels, this is what I'd recommend, kinda along the lines of Sakorick.

I got an A&B barrel for Twede project and examined the muzzle end using strong lights, high power magnifying glass and Q-tips.  Placing the Q-tip partly down the muzzle to relect the light into the grooves I examined the rifling with the magnifying glass.  I could see, although mighty small, chatter marks in the grooves, running perpendicular to the axis of the bore.

After firing a few jacketed bullets through it, cleaned it thoroughly to remove the copper and firelapped it with soft lead bullets hardrolled in 320 grit and fired 6 at a time through it using squib loads, then cleaned it for examination.  Did this until the chatter marks disappeared, which for me was 6x8= 48 rounds.  It's was a PITA to do, but with 120g Sierras in front of 48g of RL22, it will print cloverleafs, and so far appears to be pretty resistant to copper fouling.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

sambubba

A&B barrels are Shaw 2nd's, according to John Barsness who is the primary writer for Handloader and Rifle magazines. I have used both A&B and Shaw, and all have been very good shooters.

Tags: