338 federal??

Started by beretta96, June 10, 2006, 08:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beretta96

I was wondering if someone could give me their thoughts on this "new" cartridge. I know wildcatters have been making tis for years, now its factory. I really like the 308 family for obvious reasons, efficiency, light guns, availible components. I have 2 7-08s & a 308. Which reminds me I have to figure out how to post pics of my h-s & target. Anyway the idea of a 338-08 has intrigued me for a while. I heard sako will chamber it but its not on their site. I love playing with new stuff so maybe this will be cool. Any thoughts comments arrguements appreciated  scott

klallen

Local gun shop said Tikka's would be the first firearms we'd see the tiny .338 cartridge chambered in. Don't know if this is true or not.

As far as the cartridge itself, I suppose if you're reved up about the .308 case, this one's certainly right up your alley. No reason why it shouldn't be an accurate round and churn up all the horsepower that can be mustered with 50 (+/-) grs. of powder.

I really like dabbling with new stuff too, but for me, this one isn't all that interesting.

If ya get one, make sure to report back on performance. Love to hear about it. >> klallen

gitano

I happen to be a big "fan" of the .308 Win case, and all of the cartridges that have spun off of it. However, I'm fairly non-plussed with this one. The primary reasons are:

1)  The .338 Win Mag is an outstanding cartridge on it's own. It has a smaller case capacity than the popular .300 Win Mag, but packs a whole lot more punch.

2) Outstanding cartridges of lesser case capacity but almost Win MAg performance already exist - .338-06 and .338 Mauser AI. The latter of course not being a "factory offering".

For all my infatuation with the .308 Win, case I simply can't gin up any enthusiasm for this cartridge. I will say that it does accomplish one thing though... It fills part of the 'gap' between the .308 caliber on the .308 Win case, and the .358 caliber on the .308 Win case. Personally, I think an 8mm bullet - .323" - would have been a much better, and more marketable cartridge. However, Federal didn't call me up and ask my opinion before they released their new cartridge. Funny how often that happens.

The .338-08 isn't a 'bad' cartridge. It ought to be a very good hunting cartridge. It just doesn't hold much interest to me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I think that it's a neat round and would be good for deer and even elk as long as the ranges don't get to extreme. Tha tbeing said I think that it'll be about like the 358 Win. A few people will be big fans and a few rifles will be made in it but it won't be a huge seller.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

M1Garand

I think it's a good woods round for shots up to 200 yards or so.  But I think it'll end up like the 358, a good round that never caught on.

periscope_depth

As long as the velocity is high enough to be "useable" then it seems to follow that the larger the diameter of bullet....the more efficient a cartridge becomes.

The 30-06 case is a very good example:

The 25-06 produces some pretty fantastic velocity but because the cartridge is a bit over-bore....some of the powder does not translate to kenetic energy delivered via the bullet.

As you go up through .308 caliber.....the powder charge either stays the same or goes up slightly but the energy levels increase dramatically.

The same can be said of the .308 Winchester case.

The .358 Winchester is a very useful round but the short stubby cartridge just does not have enough room to fit the 250 grn bullet (which by all accounts has a very good sectional density) and if you decide to use the 250 grn bullet in the .358, the velocity really isn't sufficient to really call this a true 200 yard plus round.

The .338 Win makes finding a bullet with the same SD as the 250 grn .358 round but in a bullet that can be fired at a "useable" velocity.

I like the idea of the .338 Federal and I would truly like to see it chambered in a lever action rifle.

hunter76

I Think Some Of You Might Be Suprised Of The Results When It Comes On The Market.  I For One Think It Has A Chance At Being A Really Good Seller.  I Am Not Really Fond Of The 308 Case But I Would Like To Have A 338 Federal In A Light Rifle Such As The Kimber Montana When The Cartridge Becomes Popular Enough For Going Up And Down Hills / Mountains. If I Was Going To Be Shooting Over A Couple Hundred  Yards Then I Would Get One Of My Other Rifles Built For It.

m gardner

I have a 338-06 which was chambered in the Weatherby Mark 5. Recoil is pretty hefty in the light rifle and I would expect it to be in the 338 Federal also. The 358 Win. suffered from this problem too. I don't believe it will be around long, but it deserves to be. It should make a great big game cartridge in a light rifle for a seasoned shooter. Not for the once a year hunter and this will kill it. Like my 338-06.
God bless and good shooting. Mark

hunter76

i am use to the recoil i have a 7mm ultramag and a 300 winchester mag among other guns i don't mind the recoil as long as the gun will group well.

Rick

I have a .358 Win, so I have no need for this round.   I shoot a 225 gr partition or a 200 gr Remington Corelokt spitzer.   Since I have a strong bolt action rifle, I tend to load hotter than factory loads and give up very little to a .35 Whelen with those bulet weights.   For shorter ranges, a 250 gr Speer or Hornady bullet will work just fine.  I received a bunch of 200 Gr Remington Corelokts from a guy who used them successfully on several moose, so I am not all that sure that a 250 gr bullet is needed.

Jacobite

I actually found this site searching for info on the .338 Federal. I will be building a new rifle in the next year or so and am looking for a medium range hard hitting round that will fit in a short action. The action I will be useing is from a sporter built in Germany with an intermediate length action. It is now chambered in .308 but I want something a bit stouter as it will be used primaraly as a bear rifle. I am a reloader so as long as I can get ample brass I will be happy. I will be keeping my eye on this round that is for sure.

beretta96

jacobite, have you looked at the 350rem mag? Its a "fatter" belted short case that is a lot stouter than a 308. Brass will also be easier to find. It also fits in a short action. Rem chambered it in their model7. scott

Jacobite

Quote from: beretta96jacobite, have you looked at the 350rem mag? Its a "fatter" belted short case that is a lot stouter than a 308. Brass will also be easier to find. It also fits in a short action. Rem chambered it in their model7. scott

No I have not as I am not interested in a belted magnum for this rifle or a .35 bore. For my needs the .338 Federal appears to be the perfect answer.

Tags: