The Savage Model 99

Started by buckshot roberts, July 24, 2006, 11:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

;) If you are lucky to own a Savage model 99 , your holding a classic lever action rifle,
Is a great design which was way ahead of it’s time when "Ole" Arthur Savage developed it in the 1890's, in hope of winning a contract with the war department, although he did not, But just thank if he did, The Rough Riders making the charge up Kettle Hill, working that lever action.
For a rifle designed in the last decade of the 1800's it had many modern day features that are still prevalent on currently produced rifles. It has a cocking indicator on top of the tang. And it eject’s spent cartridges at an angle, which made it easily adaptable to use a scope, most 99 were not drilled and tapped for scopes mounts until the 50's, The rotary spool magazine that allows the use of pointed bullets, I’ve carried mine fully loaded with my hand around that rounded action, balance perfectly, maybe that why it’s receiver is worn at the bottom.
You can find the model 99's with Crescent or Shotgun Butt stocks with a steel or hard rubber butt, stocks straight or pistol grip and the forearms are plain or schnoble, Or a Perch Belly stock.
The Barrel’s are octagonal or round, and some are half octagon and round, in 20,22,24,26,or 28".
The model’s "OLDER" where (some say model 1899, after a time they say model 99) but the older models where, Just to name a few are.
Model A , and also a Model A with a short bb or saddle gun.
Model B, with a octagon bbl.
Model C, with a Half round or octagon bbl.
Model D, military musket.
Model F, saddle ring carbine
Model CD, the same as the Model C but with out the Perch Belly stock.
Model H, The model in 250-3000.
The Newer Models are,
Model A (1),(11), Model B, Model C ,Model D, DE, DL, Model E, (1) (11), EG,(1) (11)Model F(Featherweight) (1),(11), Model G, Model H, Model K, Model PE (Presentation Grade), Model R (1),(11), Model RS (1),(11), Model T, and the Model 99-358 in cal, 358 winchester, all this comes down to models with or with out crescent, shotgun, straight, pistol grip, steel or rubber stocks, checkered or not, sold or take-down frames, weights, sights, calibers, early issue. Or late, inch of the barrel’s, Clips and so on.
The Four Savage Cartridges are,
303 savage, .300 savage, .250-3000, .22 high power(5.6 X 52,
She can be found in other calibers like,
243 winchester, 30/30, 308 winchester, 358 winchester.
Sights you name it,
"Rear" Lyman, Marble, Williams, Leaf style, Buckhorn, Tang,
"Front" raised ramp or blade.
I’m the happy owner of a Model 99 R in .300 savage, (and if you should have more than one "you’re the man", no matter what year or model you have my friend have got a rifle). She does not have a rear sight, But wears an old weaver model K 2.5 scope in a "Echo" side mount, The .300 is called one of the best "all" around cartridges, I have it in 150,180 and 200 gr, ammo I’ve not got around to using the 200 yet, Just look at this group at 200yds with 180 ammo, it’s not just me that’s a good rifle with a good scope, and if I get a Elk tag in a few weeks this will be my first time using Her on Elk, She will be back in the field this season, because She’s a very accurate and dependable rife, I’ve read that the savage model 99 was discontinued because of decrepit machinery and increased cost, I for one hated to see Her go, I sure don’t won’t to see any "CHEAPLY" or "BADLY" made 99's, maybe some day they will "CLONE" Her like so many classic rifles, Ron

Some pics,

1. Old Savage
2. A model B with Engraving you can have for $6,400.
3. A model Take-Down.
4. A Musket.
5. My model 99R
6. My groups from my Savage, top is standing, the other 5 are kneeling I've never shot Her past 200 yds, and I can't tell you how many rounds I've put through Her, I just know where to lay that old tapered post and cross hair scope.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Buckshot........!:D

An outstandingly good post...!;) And excellent pics!;) The ol' Savage 1899 or, in later years, the Model 99 is indeed a classic firearm. We will certainly be hearing from rockinbbar on this one.

You need to add to your cartridge list the...............25-35! My cousin has the 1899 Model C from your descriptions above! 26" half round/octagon barrel, crescent metal buttplate, perch belly. I believe the change from the 1899 to 99 Savage came about when they moved the safety from the lever to the top sliding safety but I could well be wrong on that one. The serial # on my cousin's rifle indicates it was manufactured in 1906 and is chambered for the 25-35

Excellent job, my friend!:D

Ol' John:D

PS..will try and get some pics to post of my cousin's particular rifle.
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

M1Garand

It is a great gun, I'd love to have one myself.

Fortunate Son

Buckshot

Thanks for a very informative posting.  I have often thought of getting ahold of a 99 but have never gotten around to it.  They look like such a handy rife, how could you not want one.  

Regards,
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

rockinbbar

Great thread, Buckshot!

Ya, KNOW I'm partial to my 99...;)
I'd love to have a cabinet full of 'em!

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Hunterbug

The pawn shop down the street has a 99E in 308 that I can get for $250. I think about it but just can't make myself do it. I think I'd rather have one of the older ones.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

rockinbbar

HB, the 99's in .308 kick more than you can ever imagine.....

I've tried 2 of them....I know.
In comparison, my .338 Win Mag is WAY more comfortable to shoot. But, I DO have a limbsaver on the .338....

Jacobite

My Dad has a newer 99. Not sure how old but I hate it. Action is not smooth and the saftey is hard to operate. It is probably the last rifle I would ever choose to use. He use to talk about how bad he wanted one my whole childhood. Then when he finaly got one "I said you waited all this time to get This"! The older ones sure must be alot different because his is crap. I would carry a Winchester 94 in 30-30 before I would carry his 99 in .300.

rockinbbar

I've seen some "Later" 99's be that way.....Stiff action & all.

The reason they are that way was the tools, dies & everything used to make a Savage 99 essentially "Wore Out"! ;)

They never did upgrade the main reciever tools, & the later models fit sloppily, & had to be fitted to work.
As hand fitting was expensive, & the cost of the rifle wasn't that much to begin with, they put the 99 to bed...

The much prefered ones are Pre-Million serial numbers. The ones made in the 1980's were pretty much as you describe.

The 1960's- early 70's models were the last "good ones" produced in my opinion.
I had odered a 1980's DL in .308 & promptly returned it, because it was junk!

Now, when I get one, I get the older ones.....:D (Lessons learned)

Barry

RatherBHuntin

Thats a useful bit of info fellows.  I am always on the lookout for a deal on a 99, ever since I passed one up for half price and since I know Barry isn't gonna sell me his.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

:( yep it's sad to see that happen to the model 99, winchester done the same thing to the model 70 few years back, Thanks for the info, I'll just pass on any from 70's on up, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

SAcharlie

I own 1 post-mil 243...several pre-mil... 99Fs in 243,250-3000 & 308s...ones I'm most proud of are an EG in 300 bought when I was sixteen and a 99T factory origional in 303. The 99 is one beautiful rifle. I have yet to fine another rifle that enhances my offhand shooting ability as does the 99EG.
I don\'t shoot anything I can\'t eat...septen targets. Have Savage 99...will hunt.

Hunterbug

Yea, I think I'll pass on this one. I'll wait for something more in line with what I want. An older 99 or something else.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

snowproe

I realize this post is a bit dated but i just came across it.
I own both a model 99 and 99E Savage in .300 caliber.
The 99 is the most impressive lever i have used. I would use it any day of the week over a 30/30 Winchester.
The 99E is just as sharp of a shooter as the 99 is, but the 99E just doesn't seem as smooth. The wood on the 99 is much nicer than the 99E.
My dad bought me the model 99 .300 savage back when i was 15 or 16. It was my first large game hunting rifle. The 99E was dads gun, he passed away a couple of years ago and i now have it in my collection. At 33 and my first child on the way, I'm hoping my son will be shooting his grandfathers .300 savage model 99E someday in the future.
I have knocked down several moose with and many deer with my 300 savage model 99.

Paul Hoskins

SNOWPROE, welcome to the forum. At present I only have two 99's. One is rebarrelled to 22/30/30 AI and the other is a 22 HI Power in original form. I have the original carbine 303 barrel for the 22-30/30 AI and can switch them back and forth with little trouble. The Savage 99's are the only lever guns I really like or own now. .......Paul H

Tags: