Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

The Savage Model 99
Old 07-24-2006, 02:13 PM

buckshot roberts is on a distinguished road
Default The Savage Model 99

If you are lucky to own a Savage model 99 , your holding a classic lever action rifle,
Is a great design which was way ahead of it’s time when "Ole" Arthur Savage developed it in the 1890's, in hope of winning a contract with the war department, although he did not, But just thank if he did, The Rough Riders making the charge up Kettle Hill, working that lever action.
For a rifle designed in the last decade of the 1800's it had many modern day features that are still prevalent on currently produced rifles. It has a cocking indicator on top of the tang. And it eject’s spent cartridges at an angle, which made it easily adaptable to use a scope, most 99 were not drilled and tapped for scopes mounts until the 50's, The rotary spool magazine that allows the use of pointed bullets, I’ve carried mine fully loaded with my hand around that rounded action, balance perfectly, maybe that why it’s receiver is worn at the bottom.
You can find the model 99's with Crescent or Shotgun Butt stocks with a steel or hard rubber butt, stocks straight or pistol grip and the forearms are plain or schnoble, Or a Perch Belly stock.
The Barrel’s are octagonal or round, and some are half octagon and round, in 20,22,24,26,or 28".
The model’s "OLDER" where (some say model 1899, after a time they say model 99) but the older models where, Just to name a few are.
Model A , and also a Model A with a short bb or saddle gun.
Model B, with a octagon bbl.
Model C, with a Half round or octagon bbl.
Model D, military musket.
Model F, saddle ring carbine
Model CD, the same as the Model C but with out the Perch Belly stock.
Model H, The model in 250-3000.
The Newer Models are,
Model A (1),(11), Model B, Model C ,Model D, DE, DL, Model E, (1) (11), EG,(1) (11)Model F(Featherweight) (1),(11), Model G, Model H, Model K, Model PE (Presentation Grade), Model R (1),(11), Model RS (1),(11), Model T, and the Model 99-358 in cal, 358 winchester, all this comes down to models with or with out crescent, shotgun, straight, pistol grip, steel or rubber stocks, checkered or not, sold or take-down frames, weights, sights, calibers, early issue. Or late, inch of the barrel’s, Clips and so on.
The Four Savage Cartridges are,
303 savage, .300 savage, .250-3000, .22 high power(5.6 X 52,
She can be found in other calibers like,
243 winchester, 30/30, 308 winchester, 358 winchester.
Sights you name it,
"Rear" Lyman, Marble, Williams, Leaf style, Buckhorn, Tang,
"Front" raised ramp or blade.
I’m the happy owner of a Model 99 R in .300 savage, (and if you should have more than one "you’re the man", no matter what year or model you have my friend have got a rifle). She does not have a rear sight, But wears an old weaver model K 2.5 scope in a "Echo" side mount, The .300 is called one of the best "all" around cartridges, I have it in 150,180 and 200 gr, ammo I’ve not got around to using the 200 yet, Just look at this group at 200yds with 180 ammo, it’s not just me that’s a good rifle with a good scope, and if I get a Elk tag in a few weeks this will be my first time using Her on Elk, She will be back in the field this season, because She’s a very accurate and dependable rife, I’ve read that the savage model 99 was discontinued because of decrepit machinery and increased cost, I for one hated to see Her go, I sure don’t won’t to see any "CHEAPLY" or "BADLY" made 99's, maybe some day they will "CLONE" Her like so many classic rifles, Ron

Some pics,

1. Old Savage
2. A model B with Engraving you can have for $6,400.
3. A model Take-Down.
4. A Musket.
5. My model 99R
6. My groups from my Savage, top is standing, the other 5 are kneeling I've never shot Her past 200 yds, and I can't tell you how many rounds I've put through Her, I just know where to lay that old tapered post and cross hair scope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg savage.jpg (20.5 KB, 1789 views)
File Type: jpg savage3.jpg (21.3 KB, 1675 views)
File Type: jpg savage 2.jpg (17.8 KB, 1600 views)
File Type: jpg savage 4.jpg (19.7 KB, 1544 views)
File Type: jpg Odds and Ends 1156.jpg (28.4 KB, 1561 views)
File Type: jpg Odds and Ends 623.jpg (16.4 KB, 1429 views)