338 Federal

Started by billyhornsby, July 25, 2006, 03:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyhornsby

Just wondering if any body has any scoop on the 338 Federal. I see that Federal Ammo and Sako partnered in this one. What I see on the Federal ammo ballistics charts is a round that gives nearly identical ballistics as a 30-06 with the same bullet, and the 30-06 coming out better at longer ranges. So, where's the beef?

(This was with each having a 180 grain Accubond bullet)

Billy

sakorick

Quote from: billyhornsbyJust wondering if any body has any scoop on the 338 Federal. I see that Federal Ammo and Sako partnered in this one. What I see on the Federal ammo ballistics charts is a round that gives nearly identical ballistics as a 30-06 with the same bullet, and the 30-06 coming out better at longer ranges. So, where's the beef?

(This was with each having a 180 grain Accubond bullet)

Billy

Hello Billy. My question is simple....why own a rifle with a limited bullet selection that is "almost as good" as an '06 that is a marginable long range rifle? Kind of leaves out long range pronghorn hunting and cross-canyon Elk shots. :confused: Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

M1Garand

I think it'll be a good round, but I'd be surprised if is sells well.   The 308 case is a great platform so there is potential there.  Tikka also makes them in their rifles.  You should be able to do a web search and learn more.  Not a long range round but since 95% of hunters probably shoot their animals inside 200 yards....would probably be a great woods round.

billyhornsby

Only reason I could see anybody buying one is to have something in the 30-06 league in a shorter action....interesting that Federal would come out with something that fills no obvious gap. Billy

Rick

I don't really see it as competing with the .30-06, particularly in the West.  Perhaps in the East, where the larger diameter and (available) heavier bullets would pay dividends at closer ranges.   It will be a good medium-range round out to about 250 yards - just like the .358 Winchester I already have.

Mauserfan in TX

The way i see it is that all things being equal , a .33 cal. bullet will simply make a bigger hole than a .30 cal. bullet will . The .338/08 has been a secret weapon of the back east bear hunter type wildcatters for quite a few years. It would be an intresting round for a m-88 Winchester or Savage 99 to be rechambered to. The 338/06 did'nt do too well when it was comercilized, so who knows if this one will. I believe Fedreal is thinking this one will do better than the338/06 because short action light weight rifles are the "in thing" right now. Winchester attempted to create a .338 WSM but did'nt pursue it because they stated they could not equal, or better the .338 Win Mag. without excessive pressures.If ti was left to me I would just give the .358 Win. another run . Just my ramblings.
                     Take Care all, Danny
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

SAcharlie

Just another effort to get your money...something different something new...what they don't say is...not that much difference when its all said and done...from whats been out there tried and true.
I don\'t shoot anything I can\'t eat...septen targets. Have Savage 99...will hunt.

billyhornsby

Hey SAcharlie, what's the caliber of your 99? I have a 250-3000. Billy

SAcharlie

Billy...for hunting 99Fs 243/250-3000/308...for range 99EG 300__ 99T 303.
I don\'t shoot anything I can\'t eat...septen targets. Have Savage 99...will hunt.

kombi1976

Quote from: Mauserfan in TXThe way i see it is that all things being equal , a .33 cal. bullet will simply make a bigger hole than a .30 cal. bullet will . The .338/08 has been a secret weapon of the back east bear hunter type wildcatters for quite a few years. It would be an intresting round for a m-88 Winchester or Savage 99 to be rechambered to. The 338/06 did'nt do too well when it was comercilized, so who knows if this one will. I believe Fedreal is thinking this one will do better than the338/06 because short action light weight rifles are the "in thing" right now. Winchester attempted to create a .338 WSM but did'nt pursue it because they stated they could not equal, or better the .338 Win Mag. without excessive pressures.If ti was left to me I would just give the .358 Win. another run . Just my ramblings.
Take Care all, Danny
To be honest, I'm really quite astounded that Remington, who had no success with their SAUM series, didn't try and steal a march on Winchester and develop a 338 cal SAUM.
There MUST be a way to develop a decently powered short action magnum-style cartridge and if Remington could do it they could well see themselves with a good seller.
Mind you, since the Big Green generally have trouble finding their bottom with both hands & a map when it comes to cartridge development it's hardly a surprise they haven't leapt at the chance.
Funny thing is that people have already developed good WSM wildcats in 358 and 375 cal.
Surely the 338 is an easier proposition?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Mauserfan in TX

Howdy Kombi, One thing that comercial manufactuers fear most is LAWYERS. The reasons Winchester quoted for not pursuing a .338 WSM are also simular reasons they did'nt devolope a .25WSM Stating unreliable pressure spikes and too great velocity differences. Yet both Buck Pope and John Sundra have developed a .25 Short Mag. cartridge on the Winchester casing and the Rem SAUM casing without all the problems stated by the factories. I think the factories come up with something, then run it by their leagal dept. If the result is " Are you Crazy, WHat If....." You get the picture. I think if i was going to get one of the new Ruger Scout rifles , the .338 Fedreal would be just about right. What do you think?
                                        Take Care, Danny
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

kombi1976

Ah, the legal department, the bane of decent factory ammo for European cartridges!
I think those scout rifles are interesting although not exactly my speed.
The whole scout scope biz is a little weird IMO.
But yeah, they'd be great for the .338 Fed.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

I love those "Scout" rifles by Ruger. As for me, I think the .338 Federal would be a great cartridge for such a rifle... right after the .308 Win. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

billyhornsby

Yeah, I think I would go for the Frontier in 338 Federal also. Otherwise, I have all the whitetail calibers I will ever need. I also have a 35 Whelen in a 7600 Remington Pump. Billy

hunter76

I Hope The 338 Federal Does Well Enough So I Can Get As A Light Weight Kimber Short Action.  I Think It Will Do Alright

Tags: