Range Report on .50 Alaskan

Started by gitano, October 01, 2006, 09:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Got to the range today with the primary goal of shooting the .50 Alaskan with my homemade jacketed bullets. Also on the agenda was another stab at getting my MAI sighted in, and shooting off some old .308 ammo I had including some sabots.

Attached are two photos of the .50 Alaska endeavor. The first is of the 3 sight-in shots at 25 yds. The second is 3 shots at 100 yds. I think I can live with that. :)

The MAI once again proved extremely frustrating. I have never had as much trouble with 'scopes as I have with this rifle. The Weaver V-12 I put on basically self-destructed. The next time, )!#&!)@#&_$&@, the 'scope will work!

The sabots performed pretty much as they always have... very fast and marginally 'accurate' - 2 to 3 MOA.

I did get some very interesting and promising results with 60 grain .312 bullets, and 123-grain and 150-grain .311s.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

:D Paul good post, I may never reload or work up any ammo, ;) Some of you guy have a love for it, but I do enjoy reading all the posts, not bad shooting, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

Thanks Ron. I like reloading for at least the following four reasons:

1) It extends my 'gun time',

2) It provides me with an excuse to experiment,

3) It allows me to make my own custom 'stuff' like the .338 MAI, 7x300 Weatherby, .22/.30-30, .8x56R Steyr, .257 RAI, etc...

4) Especially since I got the .50 Alaskan, it saves money. A box of 20 'factory' cartridges costs $90 in Anchorage. Yikes!

As far as the shooting goes, I was fairly tickled with the 3-shot group for the .50. I'm happy-as-a-clam with any hunting arm that can consistently put three inside an inch at 100 yds. If I can get the stock in shape in time, I'll be taking the .50 to Colorado in Novemeber to get after cow elk with Hunterbug. If I can ever get my MAI sighted in, I'll be taking it too. If I use the .50, HB said he'd 'field test' the MAI. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

LOL, that Hunterbug is one heck of a fella.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

:D Yep may never be another HB ,
;) Paul I've read a few thing about reloading, I can say this about what I read here at THL, nobody is going to  pull the wool over anyones eyes ya'll seem to be strat up about it. Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: