gitano's and hunterbug's elk hunt

Started by recoil junky, November 15, 2006, 08:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

I'll start this for hunterbug because they just left my house after spending the night.

After their lovely trip through a Colorado snowstorm across Berthod pass because I70 was closed they "camped" here to get an "early" start. After a quick breakfat gitano wanted to check the zero on his 50 Alaskan and his 338MAI. It was a good thing because the scope gremlins had done their magic on the 50 Alaskan making it shoot a good foot low at 100 yards. :o His 338MAI was close to where he left it but he had to tweak it a bit "just 'cause"

Gitano forced :rolleyes: me to shoot the 50 a couple times and it is a hoot. :D That big old bullet makes me want to get a big bore gun all the more. Just don't tell Mrs. RJ. :eek: The 338MAI was aslo pretty impressive. Not the kick of a 338 Win. mag. but it should prove leathal on elk anyway.

They will be stopping here on their way back so I can see an elk up close this year. ;)

The weather for their hunt should be ideal. Lows in the 20's at night and highs in the upper 40's during the day should make for good sleeping and easy hiking.

Good luck guys!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: recoil junkyAfter a quick breakfat gitano wanted to check the zero on his 50 Alaskan and his 338MAI. It was a good thing because the scope gremlins had done their magic on the 50 Alaskan making it shoot a good foot low at 100 yards.
Looks like gitano is up to his old tricks... just to pull the trigger.:D

Quote from: recoil junkyHis 338MAI was close to where he left it but he had to tweak it a bit "just 'cause"
See what I mean?

Is this you RJ?

recoil junky

Jay, that's about 5 miles up the road where County Road 13 forks off of 20. If you pan west on your satelite link you should be able to spot it.

This is me

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Craig,+CO&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=40.594281,-107.465923&spn=0.001967,0.005332&t=k&om=1

The satelite image is a couple years old, but it's since we moved heree. I can tell because all the dead cars and junk that were here when we bought the place are gone :D and our new junk isn't there yet :o

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

RJ.

Thanks for bringing all of us the info on the upcoming hunt of our hunting amigos!  Your assistance will most certainly help bring success to their latest adventure.  When they bring in their 2 6x6's, pics will be appreciated.:D

Ol' John;)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Brithunter

Awwww c'mon stop teasing.

Where's the report?? Huh  Huh!
Go Get them Floyd!

recoil junky

Brithunter

Doh! fancy whetting my appetite so early on ............................... you mean I gotta wait another two whole days minimum??????? Sigh.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

I'll sate that appetite a little BH, but only a little. THE story will take a day or so to compose. At the moment, I'm still in Denver at HB's place. The Reader's Digest version is: HB made an outstanding 300+ shot on the last day about half an hour before last shooting light on a big cow. I'll post pictures of the cow shortly.

It was a great hunt in gorgeous country, and we saw an incredible amount of game - some extraordinary elk bulls and mule deer bucks. (I've got good picks of a great muley buck.) A good time was had by all.

More to come.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Arrrghhhhh More teasing:( Snippets........... snippets is all we get :frown .

Hey Gitano,

Take it easy on the trip home and I look forward to the full story :p . Hmmm wonder what HB used this year?

In case anyone wonders ................. yep I am really Jealous ........... Green with envy even :o .
Go Get them Floyd!

Hunterbug

I used my 338 Win Mag and given the shot that I had to make I can't think of another rifle that I own that I would rather have been using. Here's the last tease before Gitano has a chance to tell the whole story. Belive me that it is well worth wating for. ;)

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Ahhh some relief ............................ a smiling face holding a dead Beastie. A big dead beastie at that. Bet it took some recovery effort to deal with the messy side then move it home.

Well it's off to bed for me now as it's 01:00 here.
Go Get them Floyd!

recoil junky

Yeah, lot's of guts to deal with. You don't realize just how big an elk is until you get next to a dead one. I remember my first elk. I was all of 13 and by myself when I shot him. A wee spike. Then Dad came along with the horses just as I was getting done with the messy part. I think he did that on purpose :D Bull elk as a rule are about 1/3 again as big body wise. I think a big bull can weigh upwards of 750-800 pounds before eviscerating.

RJ

buckshot roberts

:D HB "CONGRATS"  on that fine lookig cow elk. yep just can't wate until the story is posted, with work I all most missed the post, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

MountainMafia

Good going Hunterbug, that's a great looking animal and you do wear the smile of success well. The elk should certainly fill your freezer along with the deer you got earlier.:)
...that\'s my story, and I am sticking to it

M. R. Byrd

Hunterbug-
Congratulations on the hunt. I had sure wanted to get through Denver and meet you guys, but we ended up running late and going Highway 50 both ways:( . I will post about our hunt. Unfortunately, the elk won. It was a tough hunt this year, but I was glad the Lord gave me another hunt and I will be back again next year if the Lord wills.

Anxious to hear "The rest of the Story" from Paul.

God Bless,
Maynard Reece
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Tags: