Odd But True

Started by Paul Hoskins, December 23, 2006, 04:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

My great grandfather on my mothers side of the family was named George Washington Barnett after President George Washington. He married Martha Smith, named after George Washington's wife Martha. Two of their daughters married brothers Wiley Robbins, my grandfather, and his brother Calloway Robbins.

My grandfather, Hillary Hoskins, on my fathers side of the family and two of his brothers married three sisters.........What are the chances of this happeening again in a lifetime?............Paul H

RatherBHuntin

Only up in the hills there Paul, the choices were a lot fewer back then I guess.  I did date a girl with the same birthday and last name as me, with the less common spelling just like mine.  She had two sisters, both the same ages as my two brothers, the younger of which also dated briefly. I do not doubt we would have married if not forced to move apart.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Paul Hoskins

Glenn, .......You are most likely right. Back in the late 1800's up in the hollers where I was born the population was sparse at best. Distance between neighbors wasn't measured in yards but miles. People were much diffrent back then. They made do with what they found. Oddly none of these people I mentioned were ever divorced. Widower's never remarried either. Everything was about family. Most all of them were good people with a few being a little on the contrary side. None were to be trifled with. Things have changed a lot since then. After being away for thirty years, I went back down there and there was so many houses and trailers, I didn't recognize the place. My old home was about the only thing I could identify. That little three room shack is still standing. Seven people lived in it. The old home just isn't the same any more. They have blacktop roads, phones and electricity now. Progress I suppose but it just isn't home any more.......Paul H

Tags: