Can you guess what this is?

Started by sakorick, February 25, 2007, 09:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Brithunter, I know you know so let others guess!:smiley: Name this rifle! Hint number one......
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

babbyc1000

Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

sakorick

Quote from: babbyc1000;58161is it a sako????????????

Yes Babby, it is, now just what kind of Sako? To win the contest, you must identify the rifle. :help: Regards, Rick. I'll give you a hint....hint#2...under the cartouche around the lower part of the Sako gear....you have to look closely, there are letters that spell Riihimaki. Good Luck....if you get it before anyone else......I'll send you a prize! Regards, Rick.

joshackert

is this a sako riihimaki chambered in .222 ca?? i belie is a colectors item?

joshackert

forgot the mention the mofel... L46 delux... hopefully

babbyc1000

Quote from: joshackert;58168is this a sako riihimaki chambered in .222 ca?? i belie is a colectors item?

Quote from: joshackert;58171forgot the mention the mofel... L46 delux... hopefully

awwww, thats exactly what i was just about to say.... :greentongue:
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

sakorick

Quote from: babbyc1000;58174awwww, thats exactly what i was just about to say.... :greentongue:

BUZZZ. Both wrong. Babby you are on thin ice here.....no more guesses for you.....the next incorrect guess and you are eliminated.

Third clue.....Babby is waaaaay too young to identify this rifle. Regards, Rick.

joshackert

Kivääri M/39 Rifle

Data & Facts Made by VKT, SAKO and SkY 1939 - 1944
B-barrel - 1942
Receivers made by - Tula, Ishevsk, Sestroretsk,Chatterault, Westinghouse, Remington
A later production in the 60's was introduced to the US collectors market.The M39 is easily recognizable for it's pistol grip stock. The straight stock variant was only produced in 1941 by SAKO and is considered as highly collectable. Another very collectable variant is the B-barrel so named because the barrel is not arsenal stamped but rather has a distinctive B marking that denotes the barrel is made by Leige Belgium.

sakorick

Well Joshackert hit the nail on the head. You are correct....and, they are highly collectable. Welcome to the forum by the way. This one is a 1943 version made by Sako in Riihimaki, Findland in 1943. The Finns robbed the rifles from the Russians and rebuilt them in the Riihimaki and Tikka plants....Tikkas were the "SKY" varients issued to the National Guard (very rare) and the SA versions built by Sako went to the Army. There were only around 75,000 of these rifles made in 7.62x54R. Please look at the attached pictures....this :biggthumpup: rife is essentially, a .308. Regards, Rick....and thanks to the old guys for giving the new guys a chance!

joshackert

Hey thank for welcoming me to the form. unforatinly i do not get to spend much time   hte net do to work...... The rifle is a beautifle  rifle and im sure to be worth alot of value.  if i run into one here in Canada(not likly) ill be sure to pic it up.  I really love the old rifles. for some reason just the look of them  make it look like there was some care put into them when they were built. not like to day.. things look cheep i think. nice but cheap. i just like the hand crafted work.... Nice rifle again
                                                            Take care
                                                                       Josh Ackert

gitano

Quotethis :biggthumpup: rife is essentially, a .308.

Hmmm... That's not what it is usually compared to. :)

Paul[/SIZE]
Be nicer than necessary.

Mark R

Picked up a M28 a week  ago. Metal near perfect. Stock a little rough but cleaned up nicely a few repaairs but that gives it character. Got it for $50. Also got Swede 96. !916 Gustafs all matching except barrel bands and cleanig rod. This ones really nice. I'm guessing 100% 0n the metal and the wood is also near perfect $80. Also a Turked Gew 98 1916 Korenbusch, a little rough. Those Turks were hard on their rifles $90. Had a good shopping day.
marktx

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;58207Hmmm... That's not what it is usually compared to. :)

Paul

Hello Paul.....I'm suprised.....The caliber is nearly identical to the .308. Please elaborate:eek: . Regards, Rick.

gitano

The only other moniker I've ever heard used on the 7.62x54R is "Russian .30-06".:greentongue:  :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Well, with the 150gr bullet, the 7.62R is certainly in the same class as the 30'06, however, beyond that, the short magazine limits the cartridge to lighter bullets. It's the only rimmed cartridge still widely in use by the military around the world. Most of the former Soviet Bloc countries uses this cartrigde in their heavy machine guns such as the PK http://www.answers.com/topic/pk-machine-gun and also the SVD sniper rifle. The PK is every bit as good as our M-60. In our BCTP war games they were assigned the same leathality codes. There are several varients of the PK out there. Regards, Rick.

Tags: