Another can you guess what this is?

Started by Paul Hoskins, February 26, 2007, 09:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

This is a rifle that is seldom seen or known. The upper handguard and barrel band is missing. Some of the old timers might know what it is. I'll give you a clue. It is American made............Paul H

babbyc1000

ok im going admit defeat here - i know very little about non military firearms; i will hazard a guess tho and say i reckon its quite a small calibre, judging by overall length, possibly even a .22 rf, but i have not got a clue what it might be!
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Paul Hoskins

Well, no one seems intrested so I'll tell you what it is. It is a HOBAN 22 lr. single shot. Intresting history behind it. ............Paul H

Hunterbug

I just saw this. I would have guess a Carcano but you said American made.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

babbyc1000

its a nice rifle paul, very different looking if you know what i mean. whats the story behind it?

Paul Hoskins

This cheap 22 rifle is a piece of junk. I just keep it because someone gave it to me. Hoban took over another firearms manufacturer, Hamilton Rifle Manufacturer, when the owner died around 1945, I suppose. They made something like 14 diffrent models and all were cheap stuff. They sold for around 2 to 5 dollars and most were boys rifles. They were so cheap one feed company even put one in random sacks of cow and horse feed as a promotional gimmick. From what I remember the last ones were made around 1950 or so. Clarence Hamilton invented a nice air rifle and apparently sold manufacturing rights to the Plymouth Iron and Windmill Co. where he went to work in 1889. Plymouth Iron and Windmill Co. became Plymouth Air Rifle Co. which became Daisy Air Rifle Co. as we know it today. Pat Hoban was an assistant to Hamilton. When he took over operations, he named the rifles Hoban Rifles, so the Hoban was a Hamilton with Hoban's name on it. In the early fifties a German firm made Hoban rifles complete with Hoban's name on them. Today it would cost more to make the dummy "magazine/trigger guard" than all the rest of the rifle. Many of these guns had brass lined barrels...............This is about all I can find on them. Incidentally all of these rifles were single shots and made in Salem, Michigan...........Paul H

babbyc1000

hmmm well apart from being a bit rusty i have to say i do like the look of it, especially the trigger guard. interesting history too.

sakorick

I sure hope I find one in one of my bags of beans this Spring!:biggthumpup: What a cool little piece of Americana. I'll start looking for one immediately! I'm serious!!! Great post and a neat rifle. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: