.308 win family questions

Started by LvrLover, March 14, 2007, 07:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LvrLover

I am working on a little project and wondered if any of you knew if there was a 22 cal cartridge in the .308 win family - preferably a commercial round. I also want a list of any other rounds with the same shoulder and headspace. To top it all off, are their any other cartridge families that have rounds from 22 up to about 35 cal? Any and all help would be appreciated.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Paul Hoskins

Ivrlover, I know of no commercial cartridges in 22 caliber based on the 308 case, however there is several versions of "wildcats" based on the 308 family of cartridges. I'm in the process of building a 22/243 Ackley on a Ruger #1 action now. It will have an 8 inch twist barrel of very light profile, something like 22 inches long.

I don't know of any cartridges from 22 to 35 cal. in the commercial line based on the same case.

It would be nice if some enterprising company would develop a commercial cartridge in 22 cal. based on the 308 case. There is several ccommercial cartridges based on the 308 case from 243 to 30 cal. and there may be one in 35 cal. also but offhand I'm not sure. I don't have my books handy right now................Paul H

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: lvrlover;59169To top it all off, are their any other cartridge families that have rounds from 22 up to about 35 cal?

Yup... the .30-06 case.

.22 Jenkins
6mm-06
.25-06
.270 Winchester
.280 Winchester/7mm-06
.30-06 Springfield
8mm-06
.338-06
.35 Whelen
.375 Whelen
.400 Whelen

sakorick

Quote from: Jay Edward;59173 Yup... the .30-06 case.

.22 Jenkins
6mm-06
.25-06
.270 Winchester
.280 Winchester/7mm-06
.30-06 Springfield
8mm-06
.338-06
.35 Whelen
.375 Whelen
.400 Whelen

Hello Jay....I just can't believe you omitted my favorite, to wit, the 6.5-'06  and Ackley. I'll bet old John has others.:biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: sakorick;59240Hello Jay....I just can't believe you omitted my favorite, to wit, the 6.5-'06  and Ackley. I'll bet old John has others.:biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.  

YIKES!!  Sorry Rick... you're absolutely right.  Pass the humble pie.:undecided:

Paul Hoskins

Jay, Rick, some of the cartridges you guy's list aren't commercial cartridges.............Paul H

LvrLover

Thanks everybody. What I want to do is use the same headspace guage for a whole bunch of cartridges. I'm a big cheapskate! I can't believe no one makes a 22/308. To me it seems a no brainer. I don't know a lot about reloading, but if i tried this would it be better to use 243 brass than 308? If the brass isnt stetched as much it should be stronger, right?

Paul Hoskins

Iverlover, it's always easier to use the smallest diameter case neck for necking down to any smaller bullet. I would never use 308 cases to make any 22 caliber based on the 308 family of cartridges. It is a lot more trouble and expense to buy and use several dies to neck cases down. If you use the 243 case, you need no case forming dies. Simply run the 243 case in your full length sizing die and if that gives you trouble, remove the seating stem from the seating die and run the case through it first then go back to the FL die. This usuaally takes care of any problems.............It may be to your advantage to buy a copy of Ackley's handbooks if you can find them..........I suppose the big cartridge makers will eventually get around to making a 22 cal. based on the 308 case. They operate much like our military in that an idea has to be obsolete before they see the advantages of it............Good luck in your undertaking.........Paul H

sakorick

Hello Lvrlvr. There is a 22 cartridge necked down from 308 called the 22 Cheetah. http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w22chee.html

Also, there are a number of wildcats that use the 243 as the parent. They essentially have the same performance as the 220 Swift and the 22-250 AI. My question is simple....Why go to all the trouble to build a wildcat that has essentially the same performance as a cartridge that has been around for 70 odd years, with readily aviable dies, brass, and tons of reloading data? The 220 Swift is the king of the 22 calibers for a reason. That's my $.02. Regards, Rick.

LvrLover

The reason is I want to have the same action(maybe a savge 110) with several calibers. They could all use the same magazine. It has been said to watch out for the man with only one gun cause he probably knows how to use it. If my stock, trigger and scope stay the same it creates repeatability. This is just an idea at preasent. I'm checking on feasability. Maybe the same thing could be done with the new short mags from various manufacturers. Anyway at this point it is all speculation and informayin gathering. It could be(and probably will be) years before I do anything.

Brithunter

Quote from: lvrlover;59291The reason is I want to have the same action(maybe a savge 110) with several calibers. They could all use the same magazine. It has been said to watch out for the man with only one gun cause he probably knows how to use it. If my stock, trigger and scope stay the same it creates repeatability. This is just an idea at preasent. I'm checking on feasability. Maybe the same thing could be done with the new short mags from various manufacturers. Anyway at this point it is all speculation and informayin gathering. It could be(and probably will be) years before I do anything.

Hi There,

Sorry but I must disagree with your idea :greentongue:  by changing the barrel the rifles dynamics are changed unless ............................. you really play with it to make the barrel EXACTLY the same weight and even then the length MUST stay the same :Banghead: . However this will be almost impossible. Due to the wall thickness difference caused by differing bore diameters. You can of course reduce the barrel diameter. BUT this will alter the feel of the rifle and the possibly acuracy. the length of the barrel could be altered to keep the weight the same but again a longer or shorter barrel WILL alter the handling of the rifle :undecided: .

It sounds like a nice idea until you start to think about it and actually study it closely :stare: .

I really do wish you luck ............................ I think you will need it :eek: .
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Quote from: Brithunter;59292Hi There,

Sorry but I must disagree with your idea :greentongue: by changing the barrel the rifles dynamics are changed unless ............................. you really play with it to make the barrel EXACTLY the same weight and even then the length MUST stay the same :Banghead: . However this will be almost impossible. Due to the wall thickness difference caused by differing bore diameters. You can of course reduce the barrel diameter. BUT this will alter the feel of the rifle and the possibly acuracy. the length of the barrel could be altered to keep the weight the same but again a longer or shorter barrel WILL alter the handling of the rifle :undecided: .

It sounds like a nice idea until you start to think about it and actually study it closely :stare: .

I really do wish you luck ............................ I think you will need it :eek: .

Ditto......BH beat me to the punch! Ain't possible from my view......but that's, admittedly,  a pretty narrow view:confused: Regards, Rick.

hunter76

if you end up doing that keep good records of the zero reference points between the  different cartridges,and it will help you out a bit.  have fun shooting

gitano

I'll comment more when I have time later, but "weight" and "diameter" have next to nothing to do with how the barrel behaves "harmonically" - length is the only relevant issue, and that is easy to keep constant. A "family" of cartridges based on the .308 Win case is an idea I have embraced for a long time. I just need to get a round tuit. ;)

More  later...
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Paul, I've got a stack of round to toits out in the shop if'n you want me to send you one :grin:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Tags: