optimal barrel length for a .22 WMR

Started by English, March 27, 2007, 04:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

English

I've been working an an old Mossberg 640 I picked up last year in a trade.  Having a terrible time getting the stock right but that's another story.  The barrel may need to be recrowned.  I know I dont' have to but the barrel is very long and I may shorten it if I have to recrown.  Was wondering if anybody had a clue on what the optimal barrel length for a .22 WMR is??

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

gitano

I'd be guessing here Mike, but I'd guess that it doesn't matter too much with respect to ballistics. I don't think the pressures and forces generated by the WMR cartridge are sufficient to be noticiably influenced by the barrel length. Still, I'm just guessing. I have precious little experience with the .22 WMR.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Daryl (deceased)

Mike,

From what I understand, about 16 1/2 inches is close to optimal for a .22 LR.  About 2 inches longer for a .22 mag.

I really have no evidence of that, but it's what I've been told many times.  Could just be a myth for all I know.

I like a short barrel for my rimfires, and my .22 mag sports a 16" barrel.  It's about as handy as a rifle gets, and shoots very accurately.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

English

Gitano and Daryl.  I'm sitting in the surgery waiting room and noticed they had a computer with net access.  So here I am checking on THL!  

Daryl, I agree with you and prefer a short barrel for my rimfires.  I haven't measured it yet but I'd guess the barrel is 22-24 inches long on this gun.  I'm thinking that I'd llike to shorten to about 18 inches.  I had heard the 16 inch optimum for the rimfire but couldn't remember ever seeing one for the .22 mag.  

Now I have to get this stock thing figured out!  :Banghead:

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

Daryl (deceased)

Mike,

Mine's a Marlin 882 SS, and I bought it used for $100.00. Paid another $50 to have the barrel cut down, stuck a Leupold 2-7 and a sling on it, and it makes about the perfect truck gun for bumming around the desert.

It's the one closest to the camera, and it's a shootin' little son-of-a-gun!
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

English

Looks good Daryl!  I want mine to leave in my shop for oppurtune shots at anything that needs to die!  Woodchucks, possums, skunks, 'yotes etc.  Plus my dad wants the chucks on his place thinned down as they are digging holes everywhere.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

Daryl (deceased)

Mike,

I hear you.  Mine came in pretty handy yesterday for a dog that was trying to attack us in my brother's yard.  Don't know if it was a stray, or someone's guard dog that got loose, but it doesn't matter any more I guess.

Truly, it gave us no choice.  Vicious dogs should not be running loose, even in rural areas.  I shudder to think of what would have happened if one of the kids had been in the yard.

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Tags: