New Sights for the Martini

Started by gitano, April 13, 2007, 08:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Finally got the open sights I was wanting for the Martini. There's quite a bit more to do however. Both front and rear ramps need to be mounted, and while it 's not a great challenge, it's no mean feat either - at least for me.

I would like to have both the sights "color case hardened". I suspect that would require at least a 6-month wait, plus having to put up with the disgusting whining by the "colorist" about how they "can't assure the outcome", and "I don't know if it will work", and "the responsibility is yours if you choose to do this". (God forbid anyone should actually have to take responsibility for their work as a professional!) However, I happen to think that having those two elements accented would considerably improve the over-all look of the rifle.

The forearm in these photos is the quick-and-dirty piece I made so I could take the rifle hunting in Colorado last fall. I was planning to have the final piece be the full-length Mannlicher style that the Q&D piece is, but after seeing it all in one piece, I'm no longer sure. A shorter forearm, still with Schnabel endcap, might look "more correct". By "more correct", I dont' mean more historically correct, that's not possible considering the chambering and other accoutrement. Rather what I mean by "more correct" is "proportional", and appealing to the eye.

Also, the front ramp as you see it in these pictures is just ever-so-slightly slipped on to the muzzle. Therefore, the barrel looks about two inches longer than it actually is. I'm also considering shortening the bbl by about two inches from its current 26" to 24". I'm not particularly concerned about the ballistic effect, however small that might be. Again, this action would be taken to render the overall look of the rifle more proportional.

The butt is also in rough form. I've already substantially modified it from it's former garrishness. I'm going to shorten it by about 2", and remove the "checkering". The wood is a very nice piece of birdseye maple, and I am hesitant to replace it. Still, it's just a bit gaudy for my tastes. I haven't made up my mind on that yet. It will depend a great deal on what I decide to do about the forearm.

In all of this modifying, I am keeping in mind that shortening the barrel, shortening the forearm and shortening the butt, will ALL reduce the wieght of the rifle. These changes alone would up the percieved recoil. However, I'm also considering upping the muzzle velocity in hopes of improving precision. All tolled, that will certainly make practicing less pleasant.

Here are the "before" pictures.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

WOW! It looks real nice. I'd leave the front stock the way it is. Just round the edges and stain it a dark color. Are thoes scratches in the bluing near the rear sight? :(
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

QuoteAre thoes scratches in the bluing near the rear sight?

Nope... They're dog hairs.:undecided:  I didn't see them 'til I posted the pics.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, after looking at the pictures of the gun, I think if it was mine the barrel would defnitely get lopped off. Maybe down to 22 inches. This won't affect the potential of the cartridge much. Muzzle blast might be somewhat of a problem but you won't be shooting it that much. I would also make a new stock for it completely. I like the full length fore end piece but the long barrel makes it look somewhat akward. The lost weight can be compensated for by adding weight behind the stock bolt. This will make it somewhat butt heavy.

It isn't necessary to have the sights hardened, even if it is just case hardened. Getting a color hardened look can be accomplished by polishing the metal and using a high heat torch with a small flame, hold it on an area until the color starts changing to what you think it should look like and quench it in water and repeat the process in diffrent places till you have the whole thing done. You can make streaks in diffrent directions with the torch to make it look more authentic. It is no big deal but I'm not sure how long it will last but suspect about as long as regular colorhardening will last.

The right sidewall of the action can be cut down considerably and tapered up at the rear to the top of the action to facilitate easier loading. On the BSA Cadets I have cut them down to the centerline of the chamber at the front. It will not seriously affect the strength of the action unless you go below the centerline of the chamber...........Paul H

gitano

Thanks for the input Paul. All things I would seriously consider except lowering the right sidewall. I'd like to keep the action "as-issued".

The coloring with a torch is an interesting idea. I think I'll try it with some scrap and see what kind of damage I can do.

Jay, if you're watching, maybe could you "PhotoShop" the barrel down to 24, 22, and 20 inches and shorten the butt by 2" also. If it's too much to do with your east coast trip coming up, please don't bother.

Paul

I just realized that there aren't sufficient dimensions in the thread for reasonable "PhotShoping". It's 25" from the foremost part of the action to the rearmost part of the ring of the front sight.
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, my description for cutting down the right sidewall didn't sound too clear to me after I went back and looked at the post. I'm going to post a picture of a Cadet that is cut down. This particular action is my plaything. I use it for any tinkering I want to try. It has two breechblocks. Rim and centerfire. Going to post some pictures of other Martinis on hand. The first one is the cutdown and the second one is something I altered dramatically. There is nothing original on this action except the extractor and frame. ALL the other parts I designed and made. There is no subframe. It has a tang with safety, adjustable trigger, swinging hammer, the works. Even the lever is homemade. It is chambered for the 17 Ackley Bee and with the right loads will shoot five shot groups less than 1/4 inch. Even the breechblock is home made.

The one with the scope is the #12 or #13, chambered for the 17 Rem. A darn good deer gun with the right bullets. The other two pictures are of the Scheutzen we talked about.............Paul H

Ausmarksman

Certainly a different take on an old classic! You've certainly pulled it off mate.

:biggthumpup:

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;60770Jay, if you're watching, maybe could you "PhotoShop" the barrel down to 24, 22, and 20 inches and shorten the butt by 2" also. If it's too much to do with your east coast trip coming up, please don't bother.

Here ye be Paul.  A quick job... but it gives one the idea.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, this looks much better in my opinion. Sure admire Jay's expertise with computers. He is to be commended...........Paul H

gitano

Yeah Paul, I'm kinda likin' that shorter look too. Thanks Jay. Is that 2, 4, or 6" shorter?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;60866Yeah Paul, I'm kinda likin' that shorter look too. Thanks Jay. Is that 2, 4, or 6" shorter?

Paul

Approximately 2" shorter but it could be a shade on the + side.

Here is another version with a metal end cap.

kombi1976

Ok, now I'm jealous! :stare: :biggthumpup:
Where did you get the express sights, Paul?
That's exactly the sort of setup I want for the 45-90. :smiley:
Further, I think it would look brilliant if the forend with metal cap was actually UNDER the muzzle like a true Mannlicher-style full-stock.
Any chance of 'shopping this look, Jay (if you have the time)?:huh2:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

Kombi, you can get the sights directly from NECG (New England Custom Guns) http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/index.html?welcometonecg.html~maindeal, or Midway USA http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=874119 .

QuoteI think it would look brilliant if the forend with metal cap was actually UNDER the muzzle like a true Mannlicher-style full-stock.
Not with the banded front sight. Both, on their own, look sharp in my opinion, not together. I've chosen the banded front ramp. Which is leading me to the conclusion that I will not be using a Mannlicher-style full-length forend. Instead, a "regular" length forend with a "Schnabel".

By the way, you can get metal endcaps from NECG too.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;60906Not with the banded front sight. Both, on their own, look sharp in my opinion, not together. I've chosen the banded front ramp. Paul

However... ALL things are possible with the help of the evil graphics program.

You simply eliminate the 'banded' look of the front sight and use the metal forend cap instead.:clown:

kombi1976

I really do like that full length stock.
As you said, it's probably impractical but it looks cool. :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Tags: