New Stock for the Martini

Started by gitano, April 18, 2007, 04:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I've been working on the original butt of the Martini-Enfield .50, but it looks like it just isn't going to make the grade. I simply can't get my head low enough to sight down the open sights. Now one might be inclined to suggest that I simply adjust the drop-at-comb. Unfortunately, that option is severely limited. A Maritini-Enfield has a through-bolt that attaches the butt to the action. The hole for that bolt is of course already drilled in the existing butt. I can adjust for a little more drop-at-comb and at-heel, and I can shave the comb down as well... but not much and not enough.

So... what this means is that I am going to have to start from scratch. That's not so bad really. I can now get two pieces of wood - one for the forearm and one for the butt - that are well-matched, and the fit will be "perfect" instead of "close".

Here's a picture of what the stock looked like when I got the rifle:

And here's a closeup of the butt:

As you can see, it was pretty garrish to start with, but more importantly, there was zero drop-at-comb because of the use of a 'scope. Even after 'erasing' the outlandish cheek-piece, the comb was still way too high for open sights. So far, I have shaved the comb down about half an inch and it's still too high. Changing the angle-of-insertion of the butt into the action, (increase the drop-at-heel), will help a little, but in reality I can't change it much because the through-bolt won't line up with the receiving nut in the action.

Nope, looks like I'll have to start afresh. Installing a new butt will allow me to add another accessory that I really like, and that the existing butt didn't have enough room for: a cartridge trap. :D I'll also be installing a skeletonized butt plate.

I'm thinking a nice piece of aged, dark cherry. Walnut would work too. We'll hafta see what comes to hand.

Paul

Whoa!!! Something very wierd going on with my cut and paste function. Let's try that again.
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

How about this Paul?

gitano

That'd be fine Jay, if I wuz gonna keep a 'scope on it. ;) It's already way too late on the monte carlo comb too. The comb is now just about level with the line of the bore, or the top of the forearm as you have it presented.

Here's a picture of my Ruger No.1 RSI. It's comb is just low enough for me to use the open sights on it. However, it's a start with regard to a model for the Martini. Although, the Martini won't have a pistol grip. You'll notice that the comb on the RSI is substantially below the centerline of the bore. Also, on the Ruger, the comb rises ever-so-slightly as you move toward the receiver. On the Martini, I will have it fall just slightly away from my face at it moves toward the receiver. That way, the stock doesn't hit the cheekbone as hard in recoil.

Just for scale, the Ruger has a 20" barrel.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

No problem Paul.  The comb is lowered, angled down so that the rifle recoils away from the cheek and a piece of wood is shaped and to fit in the bow formed by the lever.  That constitutes your 'pistol grip'.:clown:

gitano

Now that comb might be low enough, and the angle is about right. :) As for the "pistol grip" eeeuuuwww.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

OK... let's talk 'Classic'. :clown::clown:

gitano

"Classic" eh. I'll have to go somewhere other than "classic" then. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Let's make it more like you are lusting after.

Tags: