Howa Varminter Good?? or Bad??

Started by Chuckger, June 05, 2007, 01:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckger

Any body have one of these Howa Varminter rifles??  I am looking at one in a 204 Ruger.  Any thoughts??
Chuck

Gmoney

I have the exact rifle you mention Chuckger in the same caliber as well..
Shoots wonderful, action is smooth as glass, and the stock is nice..

It must be said though that this is a heavier rifle than most...
All up mine is close to 10 pounds but this is on purpose as I don't usually walk too far to call...

Anything else you'd like to know that I could help you out with?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Chuckger

I was just wondering.  I have heard nothing but good things about these guns, I was a little bit put off by how inexpensive these rifles are.  Sounds like I will own one in the next few days!  I was also looking at getting one in a 300 WSM, do you know any thing about the larger action rifles in this config?
Chuck

Gmoney

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Paul Hoskins

Chuck, I'm not a bolt action man and never owned a Howa but two of my friends have them and love them. Both are in 223 Rem. I do have a S&W in 22/250 that shoots like a dream. It was a freebie so I took it. Only shot it about ten times. The fellow said it quit shooting and after looking through the barrel, I could understand why. After scrubbing the bore for two hours it looks new and shoots half inch or better at 65 yards with factory loads..............Paul H..........ps .........The S&W and Howa use the same action.

sakorick

A buddy up the road has a Howa 7MMWSM. Tackdriver. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Chuckger

Great!  Thanks for the info guys.  I did end up picking up a 204 Ruger on Friday, but I got a Savage instead of a Howa.  I am still going to pick up a Howa, maybe in a 300 Win Mag...

Thanks again!
Chuck

Tags: